“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.” – Heraclitus
Let me tell you why I started this project.
I’m overweight; obese.
I waste a lot of time on things I don’t really like to satisfy people that don’t really matter to me.
And I also waste it on people close to me due to the fear of being disliked.
I’m lazy because it’s easy.
I procrastinate because it’s simple.
I binge because I gave up.
I’m too worried my wife might get upset.
I’m too anxious to make my mother smile.
I’m too scared to let my brother down.
I want my family to appraise me.
I want my friends to acknowledge me.
I’m tired of making excuses – it’s energy taxing to believe in excuses I deeply don’t believe in, since I don’t really believe in the concept of excuses.
“When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” Eric Thomas
Weight loss. Fitness. Writing a story. Designing an app. Drinking your first RedBull. Learning how to swim. Finishing a video game. Quitting smoking. Quitting alcohol. Catching your first fish. Completing all the lessons in Duolingo. Watching the entire 10 seasons of Friends (even though you’ve watched it before. A lot). Doing something else. Finishing something. Another thing. Something. Anything. Something you want to do. Insert here whatever you want to do within a specific period of time. And then go fucking do it. That’s all.
You will never control time. You will never govern life. You will never truly know.
But you can do.
You can try. And then try again. And then keep on trying.
- You want to lose weight because you wish you could wear that shirt without having those love handles dangling down your side.
- You want to able to walk up the stairs without having your lungs give up on you. This is why you want to improve your aerobic endurance and overall fitness.
- You want to design an app that will help aliens use Snapchat because you feel that they’re being discriminated against.
- You want to write that novel you have been dreaming about since 2008. You have no clue how to do that, but you really want to share that burning idea with the world.
- You [want/to/do/be/have/improve/quit/adjust/add/sort/……..] something because you [believe/think/need/want/……] something.
- I [want/to/do/be/have/improve/quit/adjust/add/sort/……..] something because I [believe/think/need/want/……] something.
How does it work?
First of all, this is not only about weight loss. It’s simply about something you want to do.
It can be anything, as long as it has a specific start and end points.
It can have different phases.
The most important thing for me is the Initiation period. This is the specific period of time you give yourself to make the switch from your current life to the journey you want to embark on. The more “things” you want to do i.e. learn how to make a cake, lose weight and wake up early at 5m, the longer your initiation period will be.
- What is it you want to do now? (NB: I don’t know what I want to do with my life, but I definitely know I want to lose weight, wake up before 5am daily, take daily vitamins, take an hour off everyday for me, …etc)
- Are you doing it for YOU or someone else?
- How bad do you want it?
- What are you willing to do to achieve it?
- Are you ready to say NO?
- Are you ready to fail, then try again, then fail, then try again differently, then succeed, then fail harder than before, then get back up and do it again, and again, and again, until you move a few step forwards and realize how much you’ve learned about yourself from all those fails?
- Are you willing to replace the word “fail” above with “fall”?
This project is the ultimate gift to myself for my 28th birthday.
Welcome to the FatBoy Project.
Categories: Project: FatBoy